Black fungus, also known as Mucormycosis, is a rare but dangerous infection. Black fungus is caused by getting into contact with fungus spores in the environment. It can also form in the skin after the fungus enters through a cut, scrape, burn, or another type of skin trauma.
Fungi live in the environment, particularly in soil and decaying organic matter such as leaves, compost piles, rotten wood, and so on. This fungal infection is caused by a type of mold known as 'mucormycetes’. It should be noted that this rare fungal infection affects persons who have health issues or who use drugs that weaken the body's ability to fight the infections.
Causes of Black Fungus :
Black fungus, scientifically known as mucormycosis, is caused by a group of fungi called mucormycetes. The main reasons are:
- Weakened Immune System: Individuals with compromised immune systems, such as diabetes, uncontrolled HIV/AIDS, or certain underlying health conditions, are more vulnerable
- Steroid Use : Prolonged and inappropriate use of corticosteroids, especially in the treatment of COVID-19, can increase the risk of black fungus infection.
- Poorly Managed Diabetes : Uncontrolled diabetes, especially when blood sugar levels are high, creates an ideal environment for fungal growth.
- Underlying Health Conditions: The risk of developing diseases such as cancer, organ transplants, or severe burns is increased.
- Post-COVID-19: Recovering COVID-19 patients, especially those treated with steroids, are more prone to mucormycosis.
Preventive measures, prompt curative treatment and addressing underlying health conditions are important to reduce the risk of black tick infestation.
Symptoms of Black Fungus :
Black fungus, or mucormycosis, can manifest with various symptoms. Common signs of mucormycosis include:
- Nasal Symptoms: stuffy or blocked nose. Nasal discharge or bleeding. Pain or swelling in the nose.
- Facial Symptoms: Swollen and sore mouth. Black lesions on the skin, especially around the nose and eyes.
- Oral Symptoms: Ulcers in the mouth. Black discoloration of the palate or other parts of the mouth.
- Eye Symptoms: Redness and irritation in the eyes. Blurred or double vision.
- Systemic Symptoms: Fever. Fatigue. Headache.
These symptoms can vary, and not all individuals with mucormycosis will experience the same symptoms. When any of these symptoms are observed, especially in individuals with underlying health conditions such as diabetes or those who have recently been diagnosed with COPD, prompt treatment is essential. For mucormycosis, early diagnosis and treatment are essential to improve outcomes.
Treatment of Black Fungus in Jaipur :
The treatment of black fungus (mucormycosis) typically involves:
- Antifungal Medications: Intravenous antifungal agents such as amphotericin B to prevent fungal infections.
- Surgical Debridement: Surgical removal of infected and dead tissue to prevent the spread of the fungus.
- Control Underlying Conditions: Managing underlying health conditions, especially diabetes, to create a suboptimal environment for fungal growth.
- Reducing Steroid Use: Minimizing or discontinuing the use of immunosuppressive agents, especially steroids.
- Multidisciplinary Approach: Collaboration between infectious disease specialists, optometrists, and other healthcare professionals to ensure comprehensive care.
- Regular Monitoring: Continually monitoring the patient’s condition and adjusting the treatment plan as necessary.
Early diagnosis and immediate treatment initiation are essential for optimal outcomes. At-risk individuals, such as those with diabetes or immunodeficiency syndrome, should be alert for symptoms and seek immediate medical attention if mucormycosis is suspected .
Black Fungus Treatment in Jaipur, trust the expertise of Raj ENT Hospital. Our specialized team, including Black Fungus specialists in Jaipur, is dedicated to providing comprehensive care. With advanced medical interventions, timely diagnosis, and a multidisciplinary approach, we prioritize the well-being of our patients. If you or someone you know is in need of a Black Fungus doctor in Jaipur, Raj ENT Hospital comes highly recommended for personalized and expert care, ensuring optimal recovery and improved outcomes.